KURAS 1 - Placards
Initial Production Run
We’re launching our new plate carrier lineup dubbed the KURAS 1 or K1 for short. We are only able to make a handful of carriers at this stage, so we’re going to close the listing after the first 35-ish orders.
Some History First
Ancient Greek and Roman warriors wore a cuirass, body armor protecting the chest and back and originally made of thick leather, bronze, or iron. The cuirass showed up in Japan as early as the fourth century, developing into part of the samurai armor. In the last hundred years, the cuirass made a resurgence with the advent of materials light enough to carry, yet strong enough to stop projectiles. Modern names include bulletproof vest, flak jacket, and plate carrier, but we appreciate a nod to the warriors of old with KURAS.
- Choose your size, color, and which style(s) of front placard you want with the plate carrier system (size is determined on which size ballistic plates you use)
- Add your torso measurements (for the cummerbund) and your plate dimensions to the notes section of your order since we make each plate carrier to order
- Please allow us 4-6 weeks to complete your order
Why are we making a plate carrier?
- We don’t believe there is a clean, fully functional design on the market without all of the bulky hardware and straps everywhere
- Arc’teryx doesn’t make a plate carrier, so we’re filling in for our Canadian brethren
- There are a lot of new materials and construction techniques that haven’t filtered down yet that we believe you will love
- Three points are enough
- Clean and sleek design
- Minimize the number of panels and create a natural flow from one component to the next
- Reduce the clutter of straps, loops, webbing, and visible stitching
- Eliminate clunky hardware where possible
- Include stretch zones where abrasion is not a factor and movement is essential
- Balance utility, comfort, and design
- The KURAS 1 employs new construction techniques to simplify complex joints such as the transition from the front plate sleeve to the shoulder straps. We’ve made this all one piece for the cleanest possible look and comfortable fit
- Bonded shoulder straps extend seamlessly from the front panel and seemingly disappear into the rear plate sleeve where they attach with velcro at different angles to customize the fit for each body type
- Our laser-cut - laminate - laser-cut workflow enables folded edges where abrasion will not fray the fabric and minimizes sewing to enhance overall strength
- Cordura® composites, Tegris® Thermoplastic, IMPAX® foam, and Tweave® 4-way stretch fabrics give the KURAS 1 high-end performance capabilities with the sophistication of an Italian suit
- We design everything in-house, continually source cutting edge materials from suppliers in the United States, and fully make the KURAS 1 in the USA.
- The modular design of cummerbund and front placard enables different configurations based on personal preference and mission
- Laser-cut PALS system compatible with any MOLLE pouches and gear
- Upper Velcro patch area on front plate bag
- Change angle of shoulder straps to fit different positions and body types
- Compatible with your existing placards and mag pouches
- Zipper access at the bottom for a clean finish and complete positive enclosure
- Padding added to the bottom of the plate bags to prevent damage to the plate when not being worn
- 500d solution-dyed nylon Cordura® fabric for perfect color matching
- IMPAX® shock-absorbing foam designed for professional sports equipment
- Tweave Durastretch ® Nylon fabric for flexibility and comfort
- High cycle Velcro loop for strength and long life
- YKK zippers - the best quality available
- DOT® Durable™ flat black oxide snaps
- American & Efird bonded nylon thread
- Laser-cut PALS placard (comes standard with every system): Configure your own pouches and MOLLE attachments
- Dual side-draw placard: The most ergonomic and shortest motion for drawing
- Triple vertical-draw placard: Classic orientation of magazine pouches with our new retention system
Revolutionary Magazine Retention System
Our patent-pending magazine retention system is quite different from anything currently out there. Flick the snap with one finger and draw the magazine with one motion. The strap retracts quickly into a special channel behind the magazine and clears the path for withdrawing the magazine. The new retention system makes it almost fun to run mag change drills. Do you ever sit there and snap and unsnap a pouch? Do you buckle and unbuckle your gear because the action is so clean? If so, keep your yellow pants handy.
Ballistic plate pocket dimensions
10” x 12.5” x 1”
11.25” x 13.5” x 1”
31” - 42” (full circumference)
35” - 46” (full circumference)
K1 system weight
2 lbs 4 oz
Structured cummerbund (pair) weight
4-way stretch cummerbund (pair) weight
Dual placard weight
Triple placard weight
Do you have questions about Battle Boards? We have some commonly asked questions with answers listed below.
1. What are your return and warranty policies?
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your Battle Board purchase so we will accept your return/exchange anytime. If there is a warranty issue with your order, we will we'll cover the cost of shipping back to us. Shipping for exchanges or returns of non-warranty issues are non-refundable and will incur a calculated fee for the return shipping back to our warehouse.
Your return or exchange must be unused, in its original packaging, and with all protective films intact. Products returned that are used, missing original packaging, or have had their protective films removed will not qualify for a refund. A return that is received by Battle Board that does not conform with the above policies may be shipped back to the customer at their expense.
Once a return has been initiated you will receive a prepaid and traceable USPS shipping label. Please drop this off at your local USPS location as soon as possible. Please note that you are responsible for your package until it has been received by Battle Board.
When we receive your return/exchange we will do everything possible to process your return or exchange within 2-3 business days of receipt. Please note that shipping is non-refundable.
Exchanges will be processed as Store Credit, allowing you to place another order for the items you prefer.
Battle Board® gear is guaranteed to be free from defects in materials, craftsmanship, and product failures for life.
- We will either repair or replace your Battle Board product.
- Sometimes when fulfilling a warranty claim the original item you ordered may be out of stock. In this event we will happily issue you an online store credit that you can use at www.battleboard.us. Your store credit never expires and can be used on any product available through Battle Board.
We know that you, the Battle Board user, are getting out there in the most rigorous and austere of environments and are sometimes left out to fight against the elements. This is where our gear shines. Unfortunately though, we do not accept warranties for normal wear and tear or for gear that has been involved in an accident, modified, used against its intended use, exposed to extreme conditions (such as being left in a hot vehicle), or was purchased from a non-authorized reseller.
Warranty requests submitted for products purchased outside the United States will be handled on a case by case basis and may require additional shipping costs.
When submitting a warranty claim ensure that you select exchange for your reason for return and please write a short note explaining the issue you are experiencing.
Once your warranty return has been approved you will receive a prepaid and traceable USPS shipping label. Please drop this off at your local USPS location as soon as possible. Please note that you are responsible for your package until it has been received by Battle Board.
Please allow up to 5 business days for your warranty to be processed once it has been received by Battle Board.
2. Flat rate shipping, international shipping, confirmations, and packaging time:
Flat rate shipping applies to personal orders to the continental (lower 48) United States. APO/FPO, international, and unit/organizational orders do not qualify for flat rate shipping.
Shipping confirmations are sent automatically when the package is scanned by the carrier.
Personal orders are usually processed within three business days. We strive to exceed that timeline and process orders as quickly as possible.
Larger unit orders can take up to one week to ship based on added packaging and handling requirements.
Claims for international orders that are lost by the carrier or damaged in transit should be filed by the customer. Unfortunately, we're unable to insure USPS international orders, therefore, FedEx is the most reliable shipping option for international order.
3. What comes with a package or bundle?
Making any of our boards into a bundle completes the Battle Board system and reduces the price of purchasing the board and accessories separately. Each of our Battle Boards and accessories work together to protect maps and templates from the elements and to simplify your life through organization. Each bundle, depending on the level purchased (Essentials, Plus, Premium), could include a waterproof map pouch for each surface (therefore, a FiST package comes with two map pouches), a protective cover, a Staedtler permanent marker, an accessory pack, overlay sheets, or any number of other accessories that work as a system to protect the board and contents from water, dust, and abrasions.
4. Do you have NSNs for the boards?
We don't have NSNs at this time, but units and organizations have several routes for placing an order. Please check our Government page for options.
5. Why polycarbonate instead of Plexiglas
Our abrasion resistant polycarbonate surfaces provide the highest level of protection while retaining the best features of the plastic family of materials. They are virtually unbreakable and are self-extinguishing when set on fire. The abrasion resistant coating helps keep them in great condition for a longer life-cycle, and through the toughness of polycarbonate, our boards can even withstand being crushed by a vehicle and keep on performing.
Plexiglas (acrylic) on the other hand will shatter when bent and can easily burn with an open flame. It also yellows much faster in the sunlight. If you're looking to make your own battle board, we strongly suggest using polycarbonate instead of Plexiglass.
6. Do different sized boards fit together?
7. Replacement Polycarbonate
We offer replacement polycarbonate on our site. Please check the product page here.
8. Do you have a wholesale program?
For orders larger than allowed using a GPC, we occasionally use FedBid and iRAPT for competitive bidding. Contact us, for more information, or if the order is greater than your current GPC limit.
- Your position/title
- Phone number
- Shipping address
- Model name, size, color, and quantity